So what the hell happened to me?

April 19, 2015

in medical

hospitalThe official name is post operative scar tissue blockage in the small intestine.

It’s actual quite common after abdominal surgery. It’s one of those pesky “complication” they talk about during your pre-op appointments that you consciously don’t pay attention too because you never think it’ll happen to you.

But it did happen to me.

More than likely my blockage was caused by my last surgery to remove a tumor on my ovary and that old scar tissue got rearranged when they took out my intestines and put them back in a place where they weren’t too comfortable.


My theory is I got blocked up from all those pieces of gum and watermelon seeds I ate as a kid that my Mom always said would stay in my stomach forever.

Either way it set the tone for a 13 day ordeal that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

My hysterectomy went somewhat as planned. Once the Doctor got inside she found I was covered from one end to my abdomen with scar tissue. Originally the hysterectomy was supposed to take 45 minutes ended up being over two hours while they dug through it all and tried to break up what they could in order to get all my parts out. At some point they gave up trying to find a missing fallopian tube and just closed me up. The next day I felt like a million bucks. I had  great pain management, I was moving around and feeling ready to go home.

Until later that night.

Suddenly I couldn’t keep anything down. I had all kinds of neat stuff coming out of places in my body that stuff wasn’t supposed to come out of. It was gross and super scary. Cheryl had a ileus when she had her hysterectomy so I kinda had an idea where this was headed. For the next 2 days they kept me off any food or fluid (other than what was in my IV) in the hopes of alleviated the stress on the obstruction. Sunday night I went in for a xray, the kind where you drink that horrible stuff and they take pictures every 15 minutes to see how far the stuff will travel before the blockage. It was quite obvious that my obstruction was more than an ileus so on Monday the doctors decided it was time for surgical intervention.

But I wasn’t 100% on board so I asked for a second opinion.

After already having a full abdominal surgery just a few days prior and after listening to the doctors talk about the recovery process, I just wasn’t sold on the idea of surgery for a multitude of reasons. But after hearing all the facts and seeing it through another Doctors perspective I had no other option than to go forward with the surgery. I was pretty disappointed and depressed about the whole ordeal.

This was not what I had imagined. I thought I’d already be home, sitting all comfy on the couch and watching Netflix while I recovered from my hysterectomy. I never in a million years thought I’d be going under the knife again…the idea of it all was daunting.

So after a failed attempt on Monday, my surgery was scheduled for Wednesday evening. The doctor seems pretty positive that he took care of and broke up all the blockage. Sadly, with this kind of blockage there is a high chance it can come back again and this will probably be a life long struggle of keeping the scar tissue at bay.

After 13 days of not having any food or water, it’s taking my body time to adjust. It’s uncomfortable, I’m not even going to lie about it. The surgery site is healing fine and isn’t an issue, it is the insides that are taking awhile to get back up to speed. I’ll be resting and recovering for weeks and will have to adhere to a pretty strict diet until m body decides to get back to normal. It’s kind of sucky but again, there isn’t really an easy way out of this.

Thanks to everyone for their love and support. It was a long hospital stay and the visits and flowers and phone calls and text messages were very uplifting.  I’ve never been horribly sick before and I have to say the prayers and positive ju-ju DO make a big difference in attitude. Y’all rock.

PS: Funny story. I didn’t realize I took tis picture of me until I got home and was scrolling through my phone. I guess I took a selfie of myself the morning after my surgery. LOL.

1 sharon April 20, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Glad you are on the mend. Art had emergency abdominal surgery just like yours in Oct. His scar tissue was from an appendectomy he had when he was 5 years old…..80 years ago…we told him his roots were tree related. Take care. Xoxo

2 Sandi April 27, 2015 at 11:16 am

Sharon- I can’t even imagine having that surgery at 80+ years of age…it must have been a horrible recovery! Glad he is feeling better!

3 Karen April 20, 2015 at 2:45 pm

No matter how bad the situation, the Blogger in all of us remembers that pre-post surgery Selfie! You look so out of it I don’t know how you managed to center the frame! But really, I’m glad you are out and recovering!

4 Sandi April 27, 2015 at 11:15 am

Karen- so true! It was pretty funny to see it a few days later on my phone!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: